Information for the public

Your care team

Your care team

A range of professionals who specialise in different areas of treatment or support may be involved in your care. These could include haematologists (doctors who specialise in blood diseases), radiologists and radiotherapists (doctors and professionals who specialise in diagnosing and treating diseases using imaging technology such as X‑rays), specialist nurses, pharmacists, psychologists (doctors who specialise in diagnosing and treating mental health problems), palliative care specialists (doctors and professionals who specialise in managing symptoms and caring for people at the end of their life), dietitians (professionals who specialise in diet), physiotherapists and occupational therapists (professionals who help you manage daily living activities), and other specialists depending on the symptoms you have (for example, specialists in kidney problems). All of these professionals will be trained and experienced in providing particular treatments or support.

Working with you

Your care team should talk with you about myeloma. They should explain any tests, treatments or support you should be offered so that you can decide together what is best for you. Your family or carer can be involved in helping to make decisions, but only if you agree. There are questions throughout this information that you can use to help you talk with your care team.

You may also like to read NICE's information for the public on patient experience in adult NHS services. This sets out what adults should be able to expect when they use the NHS. We also have more information on the NICE website about using health and social care services.

Some treatments or care described here may not be suitable for you. If you think that your treatment does not match this advice, talk to your care team.

  • Information Standard