Information for the public

Coping with flares

Coping with flares

Some people have times when their symptoms get worse. These are called flares or flareā€‘ups. They can be treated by your GP or your specialist, depending on your needs.

You'll be given information about flares and what sort of symptoms you might get.

You may also have a flare management plan that includes what to do if you get a flare, for example:

  • where to get care during a flare, including who to contact (for example, a specialist rheumatology nurse)

  • what you can do to help your symptoms (such as information about stretching, exercises and how to protect your joints)

  • coping with pain and tiredness

  • what medicines you can take

  • coping with the effect on your home and work life.

  • Information Standard