Pembrolizumab is available through the Cancer Drugs Fund as a possible treatment for relapsed or refractory classical Hodgkin lymphoma in adults who:
- have had a drug called brentuximab vedotin and
- cannot have a stem cell transplant using their own cells.
These people can have pembrolizumab for up to 2 years. More evidence on pembrolizumab is being collected, until July 2022. After this, NICE will decide whether or not to recommend it for use on the NHS, and update the guidance. It will be available through the Cancer Drugs Fund until then.
Pembrolizumab is not normally available for treating relapsed or refractory classical Hodgkin lymphoma in adults who have had brentuximab vedotin, and have also had a stem cell transplant using their own cells. Your doctor should talk with you about other treatment options. If you are already taking pembrolizumab, you should be able to continue until you and your doctor decide when best to stop.
Is this treatment right for me?
Your healthcare professionals should give you clear information, talk with you about your options and listen carefully to your views and concerns. Your family can be involved too, if you wish. Read more about making decisions about your care.
Questions to think about
- How well does it work compared with other treatments?
- What are the risks or side effects? How likely are they?
- How will the treatment affect my day-to-day life?
- What happens if the treatment does not work?
- What happens if I do not want to have treatment? Are there other treatments available?
Information and support
NHS Choices may be a good place to find out more.
These organisations can give you advice and support:
- Lymphoma Action, 0808 808 5555
- Leukaemia Care, 08088 010 444
- Macmillan Cancer Support, 0808 808 0000
- Cancer Research UK Patient Information, 0808 800 4040
You can also get support from your local Healthwatch.
NICE is not responsible for the quality or accuracy of any information or advice provided by these organisations.
This page was last updated: 03 September 2018