Information for the public

Your health and social care team

Your health and social care team

A range of professionals who specialise in different areas of treatment or support may be involved in prescribing and managing your medicines. These could include doctors (including GPs), nurses, pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and specialists. All of these professionals will have the relevant knowledge and skills to help you with your medicines. Social care practitioners may also be involved in your care.

Working with you

Your care team should talk with you about getting the most from your medicines. They should explain any support you should be offered so that you can decide together what is best for you. Your family or carer can be involved in helping you to make decisions, but only if you agree. If you are a child or young person, your parent or carer may be involved in helping to make decisions, depending on your capacity to make decisions. There is a list of questions you can use to help you talk with your care team.

You may also like to read NICE's information for the public on patient experience in adult NHS services or service user experience in adult mental health. These set out what adults should expect when they use the NHS. We also have more information on the NICE website about using health and social care services.

  • Information Standard