Anyone can ask us to consider a device, diagnostic or digital technology for NICE guidance or advice.
Our Medical Technologies Evaluation Programme (MTEP) considers technologies that could offer benefits to patients and the health and social care system over current practice.
Notify a product to NICE
Manufacturers, distributors and agents
Health and social care staff, patients and the public
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the name and potential benefits of the technology.
Our product went from being in 4 hospitals to 15 within 6 months of guidance publication. That was incredible.
How we select technologies
A technology is likely to be selected if it meets the eligibility criteria and:
- it offers substantial benefits to patients or the health and care system compared with current practice
- the benefits are plausible, clearly described, easily understood and supported by evidence
- developing guidance would mean faster and more consistent adoption of the technology.
- The technology must be suitable for development under one of our guidance programmes, and not currently in development.
- It must be a new technology, or an innovative modification of an existing technology, which will have benefits to the patient or the NHS when judged against comparators.
- The technology must have one of the following CE marks (or equivalent regulatory approval) or be expected to get one within 12 months:
- a medical device (under EC directive 2007/47/EC or 93/42/EEC)
- an active medical device (under EC directive 90/385/EEC)
- an active implantable medical device (under EC directive 90/385/EEC)
- an in vitro diagnostic medical device (under EC directive 98/79/EC).
The CE mark is a mandatory conformity mark for all products placed on the single market in the European Economic Area, including medical devices. The mark certifies that a product has met EU consumer safety, health or environmental requirements.
You can also download the eligibility criteria as a PDF.
Types of guidance and advice
Notified medical technologies are usually developed as one of the following:
Market access support
Our NICE Advice service offers bespoke services to pharmaceutical, medtech and diagnostics companies.
- help you identify the most appropriate journey for your product through NICE
- provide support regarding our processes and methods
- offer engagement opportunities in relation to particular products, and as part of the Early Access to Medicines Scheme (PDF)
- arrange system engagement meetings (previously safe harbour meetings) between companies, NICE and other relevant parties in the NHS landscape.
We're happy to answer any questions or to arrange a meeting to discuss things in more detail. You can email us at email@example.com.