Information for the public

If you have 'functional dyspepsia' (also called 'non-ulcer dyspepsia')

If you have 'functional dyspepsia' (also called 'non-ulcer dyspepsia')

What is functional dyspepsia?

If you have indigestion symptoms but no cause can be found during endoscopy, doctors call this 'functional dyspepsia'. It used to be called 'non-ulcer dyspepsia'. Doctors use the term 'functional' because there is a problem with the functioning of the digestive system that's causing the symptoms, rather than a problem that can be seen and diagnosed, for example, an ulcer.

Treatment for functional dyspepsia

Your symptoms may be caused by a type of bacteria called Helicobacter pylori (H pylori for short). Your GP may suggest a test to see if you have it and, if you do, offer a course of treatment to get rid of it. Please see Information about Helicobacter pylori to find out more.

If you don't have H pylori and if your symptoms are still a problem, your GP should offer you a 4‑week course of treatment with either a proton pump inhibitor (PPI for short) or an H2 blocker.

If symptoms continue or come back

If your symptoms carry on or come back after you've finished the treatment, your GP should offer you a prescription for a PPI or an H2 blocker at the lowest dose possible to relieve your symptoms, and they should discuss taking it only when you need it to control your symptoms.

Remember – you shouldn't keep taking antacids regularly for long periods. Although they help symptoms in the short term, they won't cure the problem.

  • Information Standard