Information for the public

Seeing a GP

Seeing a GP

If you see a GP, he or she should ask about your symptoms and check whether they could be caused by another medical condition, such as a heart problem or a gall bladder problem. Your GP should also check what medicines you are taking for other conditions because some medicines, for example, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), can cause indigestion.

Your GP may refer you for a test called an endoscopy. Please see Information about endoscopy to find out more. If you have had an endoscopy in the past, you won't need to have another unless you have new symptoms.

Your GP may suggest a test to see if a type of bacteria called Helicobacter pylori infection could be causing your symptoms. Please see Information about Helicobacter pylori to find out more.

If you have brought up (vomited) blood unexpectedly and severely, your GP should refer you to hospital on the same day to see a specialist.

Your doctor may refer you to hospital for further investigations if you have symptoms that don't respond to treatment or are unexplained. Heartburn can be a symptom of oesophageal cancer, so if you have any unusual symptoms or if you don't get better after treatment, your GP may refer you to a specialist.

Being referred to a specialist does not necessarily mean you have cancer; in fact, most people referred don't have cancer.

  • Information Standard