Information for the public

Seeing a pharmacist

Seeing a pharmacist

If you have indigestion, heartburn and/or reflux, a pharmacist may be able to advise about:

  • what you can do to relieve your symptoms

  • what medicines you can buy 'over-the-counter' without a prescription. for example, antacids and alginates

  • when you should see your GP

  • how to take medicines that are prescribed by your GP.

You shouldn't keep taking antacids regularly for long periods. Although they help symptoms in the short term, they won't cure the problem.

  • Information Standard