Clinical guideline development methods: The guidelines manual 2012
The guidelines manual has been updated after public consultation. The manual explains how NICE develops clinical guidelines and provides advice on the technical aspects of guideline development. This document replaces 'The guidelines manual' (last updated January 2009) and 'Guide to the short clinical guideline process 2009'.
The 2012 edition of 'The guidelines manual' describes the process and methods used for all clinical guidelines starting scoping after 1 December 2012. Guidelines already in development at this date will switch to the methods and processes described in the 2012 edition at an appropriate point during development. The draft and published full guidelines will specify which edition of 'The guidelines manual' was used for each stage of development.
The guidelines manual 2012
- The guidelines manual 2012 - All chapters
- The guidelines manual 2012: appendix A - Agreements and advice for Guideline Development Group members
- The guidelines manual 2012: appendices B-I - Methodology checklists
- The guidelines manual 2012: appendices J-K - Evidence tables and GRADE profiles
- The guidelines manual 2012: appendix L - Abbreviations and glossary
- The guidelines manual 2012: appendix M - Guide to the short clinical guideline process
- The guidelines manual 2012: appendix N - How NICE clinical guidelines are developed: an overview for stakeholders, the public and the NHS (fifth edition)
NICE published a draft of 'The guidelines manual' for public consultation during 2012. This table contains the comments from stakeholders and responses from the Centre for Clinical Practice at NICE:
Interim methods for developing service guidance
NICE has developed interim methods for developing service guidance and published these in February 2013.
- Interim methods guide for developing service guidance 2013 (including appendix 1)
- Appendix 2: Service delivery operational research methods reference
Interim process and methods for clinical guideline surveillance
NICE has developed an interim clinical guideline surveillance process and methods guide. This replaces sections 14.1 and 14.2 of The guidelines manual for guidelines being considered for updating from August 2013 onwards. This interim process will be evaluated over a 12-month period, and will then be subject to formal consultation. This guide was originally published in August 2013, with an edited version published in September 2013.
Interim process and methods guide for the clinical guideline rapid updates pilot programme 2013
NICE has developed an interim process and methods guide for the clinical guideline rapid updates pilot programme 2013 (published October 2013). It complements the standard methods and processes for updating clinical guidelines. This interim process will be evaluated and will then be subject to formal consultation.
- A guide for patients and carers: contributing to a NICE clinical guideline
- A guide for patients and carers: contributing to a NICE guideline (update)
This page was last updated: 11 October 2013