What did the Kennedy study address?
Sir Ian was commissioned by NICE to respond to the concerns surrounding innovation and asked to address the following questions:
- What approach should be adopted by NICE to ensure that innovation is properly taken into account when establishing the value of new health technologies?
- Should particular forms of value be considered more important than others?
- How should innovation in health technologies be defined?
- What is the relationship between innovation and value?
Developing the Kennedy study
In February 2009, Sir Ian made a call for written evidence on these questions.
- NHS organisations
- professional groups
- patient groups
- royal colleges
- pharmaceutical companies.
The next step in the study was three workshops. These were held on 18 and 19 May 2009 at the Wellcome Trust's headquarters on Euston Road, London. The programme for the workshops, a list of attendees, and copies of all the presentations given at the workshops are available.
NICE's response to the Kennedy study
NICE´s response included etablishing the value of new technology, innovation and a number of other recommendations.
This page was last updated: 21 June 2010