Weight management before, during and after pregnancy (PH27)
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'diet'
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'maternal and child nutrition'
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'physical activity'
Specific, concise statements that act as markers of high-quality, cost-effective patient care
Dietary interventions and physical activity interventions for weight management before, during and after pregnancy
This guidance is for NHS and other commissioners, managers and professionals who have a direct or indirect role in, and responsibility for:
- women who are pregnant or who are planning a pregnancy
- mothers who have had a baby in the last 2 years.
It is particularly aimed at: GPs, obstetricians, midwives, health visitors, dietitians, community pharmacists and all those working in antenatal and postnatal services and children’s centres.
It may also be of interest to women before, during and after pregnancy, their partners and families, and other members of the public.
In this guidance the term ‘weight management’ involves:
- assessing and monitoring body weight
- preventing someone from becoming overweight (body mass index [BMI] 25–29.9 kg/m²) or obese (BMI greater than or equal to 30 kg/m²)
- helping someone to achieve and maintain a healthy weight by eating healthily and being physically active.
The six recommendations are based on approaches that have been proven to be effective for the whole population. They include advice on:
- How to help women with a BMI of 30 or more to lose weight before and after pregnancy – and how to help them eat healthily and keep physically active during pregnancy.
- How to help all pregnant women eat healthily and keep physically active.
- The role of community-based services.
- The professional skills needed to achieve the above.
This guidance has been incorporated into the following NICE Pathways, along with other related guidance and products.
This page was last updated: 08 April 2014
Implementation tools and resources
- Audit support
- Costing report
- Slide set
- Complications in pregnancy: online educational tool
- PH27 Weight management before, during and after pregnancy: self assessment tool
- PH27 Weight management before, during and after pregnancy: financial planning tool
See this guidance in practice
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.