Join the NICE Cost Impact Panel
The Cost Impact Panel is one of three specialist panels from the wider NICE External Reference Group. The External Reference Group provides NICE with rapid, formal and informal feedback on the development of specific implementation tools, costing tools and audit criteria from a widely representative group from the NHS and wider health community.
Cost Impact Panel members are practising finance or healthcare professionals with an interest in budgets or service planning. They are invited to help us ensure that the implementation support we provide around the cost impact of NICE guidance is appropriate and helpful, and that the appropriate networks are identified to assist in the development of the tools.
Cost Impact Panel members are invited to select topics of interest and are then asked for feedback on the costing tools developed by the Costing and commissioning team at NICE. We estimate that no more than 4 hours per topic will be needed.
We are recruiting again to the Cost Impact Panel with a wider, enhanced remit and further opportunities for members to contribute to other NICE work streams including NHS Evidence and Quality Standards as well as the Costing and commissioning team for the production of costing tools.
More information on the methodology for developing costing tools.
NICE provides three types of costing tool:
- Costing reports summarise the national estimate cost and discuss the assumptions made when estimating the financial impact of implementing the guidance. For technology appraisals, the report is incorporated into the costing template.
- Costing templates support estimating the local cost of implementing guidance. These templates allow individual NHS organisations and local health economies to quickly assess the impact guidance will have on local budgets.
- Costing statements are used when cost impact is considered to be minimal to explain why the cost impact is not considered to be significant.
How to apply
To join the Cost Impact Panel and to offer your financial / service planning experience and expertise via a virtual network, please complete the application form in the link below, state your interest as Cost Impact Panels and send these by email to ERG@nice.org.uk. Appointments will be made on the basis that applicants have demonstrated that they meet the selection criteria and can expect to hear from NICE within 28 days of the form being received by the Costing and commissioning team within the Implementation Directorate.
For information about how we implement NICE guidance please refer to the NICE website 'Using Guidance'.
- Application form to join the Cost Impact Panel (External Reference Group)
- Terms of reference for the Cost Impact Panel (External Reference Group)
- Selection criteria for the Cost Impact Panel (External Reference Group)
This page was last updated: 02 December 2011