Medtech innovation briefings (MIBs) are NICE advice. They are designed to support NHS and social care commissioners and staff who are considering using new medical devices and other medical or diagnostic technologies.
The information provided in a briefing includes:
- a description of the technology
- how the technology is used
- the potential role in the treatment pathway
- a review of relevant published evidence
- the likely costs of using the technology.
MIBs are designed to be fast, flexible and responsive to the need for information on innovative technologies. They help avoid the need for organisations to produce similar information locally, saving staff time and resources.View medtech innovation briefings
How MIBs are produced
MIBs are commissioned by NHS England and produced in support of the NHS 5-Year Forward View, as one of a number of steps which will accelerate innovation in new treatments and diagnostics.
They may be authored by one of four external assessment centres (EACs):
- CEDAR external assessment centre
- KiTEC external assessment centre
- Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust external assessment centre
- York Health Economics Consortium external assessment centre.
For feedback or more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.