In spring 2013, the government announced in its response to the Health Select Committee report into NICE the ‘central role NICE will take in assessing the value of new medicines'. Following this announcement NICE has produced a set of proposals which will be used to create an addendum to the ‘Guide to the methods of Technology Appraisals'.
The proposals are based on terms of reference given to NICE by the Department of Health for what is referred to as ‘value based assessment'.
The proposals were consulted on from 27 March 2014 - 20 June 2014.
Note: this document does not constitute the Institute's formal guidance on the method of Technology Appraisals. The proposals are preliminary and may change after consultation.
Stakeholder engagement meetings held during the consultation period:
22 May 2014 Patient Group engagement meeting - Central London
27 May 2014 Professional and NHS stakeholder engagement meeting - Central London
3 June 2014 TAR team engagement meeting - Manchester
For enquiries regarding these meetings please contact Lynn Woodward at Lynn.Woodward@nice.org.uk or 0161 870 3283.
- Value based assessment methods consultation document
- Comments proforma
- Office for Health Economics Note on proportional versus absolute shortfall
- Department of Health Briefing document for NICE working party 1
- Department of Health Documentation for wider societal benefits
- Department of Health Using a set of reference estimates to support value assessment
- Decision support unit – Burden of illness briefing paper
- Decision support unit Specification VBP I - Burden of illness
- Decision support unit Specification VBP II - Wider societal benefits
- Decision support unit – Wider societal benefits briefing paper
- Decision Support Unit – Structured decision making framework
- Illustrative Technology Appraisal list and QALY shortfall