Our technology appraisal recommendations are prepared by an independent advisory committee. This is called the technology appraisal committee (TAC).
Members are appointed for a 3-year term, and are drawn from:
- the NHS
- patient and carer organisations
- pharmaceutical and medical devices industries.
The committee is divided into 4 branches. Committee members are allocated to a branch and will normally remain in the same one for the duration of their membership.
Although the committee seeks the views of organisations representing health professionals, patients, carers, manufacturers and government, its advice is independent of any vested interests.
Consultees and commentators
Consultee organisations include:
- national groups representing patients and carers
- bodies representing health professionals
- manufacturers or sponsors of the technology in development
- the Department of Health
- the Welsh Assembly Government
- specialised commissioning groups
- primary care trusts and local health boards.
Consultees can submit evidence during the appraisal, comment on the appraisal documents and appeal against the appraisal committee's final recommendations. In addition, consultee organisations (with the exception of manufacturers) are asked to nominate patient experts or clinical specialists.
Commentator organisations include:
- manufacturers of comparator technologies
- NHS Quality Improvement Scotland
- the relevant National Collaborating Centre (a group commissioned by NICE to develop clinical guidelines), if relevant
- research groups working in the area
- other groups, including:
- NHS Confederation
- NHS Purchasing and Supplies Agency
- British National Formulary
- Scottish Medicines Consortium
- Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
- Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety for Northern Ireland
- professional or patient organisations covering Wales only.
We invite commentators to take part in the appraisal process and comment on the various documents produced. Commentators cannot appeal against the final appraisal determination.
Meet the committee
Find out about the TAC committee members:
Next meeting dates
There are 4 TAC committees (A, B, C, and D). Due to the coronavirus pandemic, all our technology appraisal advisory committee meetings are currently being held virtually.
- Tuesday 18 January 2022
- Tuesday 15 February 2022
- Tuesday 15 March 2022
- Tuesday 12 April 2022
- Tuesday 10 May 2022
- Tuesday 07 June 2022
- Tuesday 12 July 2022
- Tuesday 09 August 2022
- Tuesday 13 September 2022
- Tuesday 11 October 2022
- Tuesday 08 November 2022
- Tuesday 13 December 2022.
- Thursday 20 January 2022
- Thursday 17 February 2022
- Thursday 17 March 2022
- Thursday 14 April 2022
- Thursday 12 May 2022
- Thursday 09 June 2022
- Wednesday 13 July 2022
- Wednesday 10 August 2022
- Thursday 15 September 2022
- Thursday 13 October 2022
- Thursday 10 November 2022
- Wednesday 14 December 2022.
- Tuesday 11 January 2022
- Wednesday 9 February 2022 - CANCELLED
- Tuesday 8 March 2022
- Wednesday 6 April 2022
- Wednesday 4 May 2022
- Wednesday 1 June 2022
- Tuesday 5 July 2022
- Tuesday 2 August 2022
- Tuesday 6 September 2022
- Tuesday 4 October 2022
- Tuesday 1 November 2022
- Tuesday 6 December 2022.
- Wednesday 12 January 2022
- Thursday 10 February 2022
- Thursday 10 March 2022
- Thursday 7 April 2022
- Thursday 5 May 2022
- Thursday 26 May 2022
- Thursday 7 July 2022
- Thursday 4 August 2022
- Wednesday 7 September 2022
- Wednesday 5 October 2022
- Wednesday 2 November 2022
- Wednesday 7 December 2022.