Our technology appraisal recommendations are prepared by an independent advisory committee called the technology appraisal committee (TAC).
Committee members are appointed for a 3-year term, and are drawn from:
- the NHS
- patient and carer organisations
- pharmaceutical and medical devices industries.
The committee is divided into 5 branches. Committee members are allocated to one of the 5 branches and will normally remain in the same branch for the duration of their membership.
Although the committee seeks the views of organisations representing health professionals, patients, carers, manufacturers and government, its advice is independent of any vested interests.
Consultees and commentators
Consultee organisations include:
- national groups representing patients and carers
- bodies representing health professionals
- manufacturers or sponsors of the technology in development
- the Department of Health
- the Welsh Assembly Government
- specialised commissioning groups
- primary care trusts and local health boards.
Consultees can submit evidence during the appraisal, comment on the appraisal documents and appeal against the appraisal committee's final recommendations. In addition,
Commentator organisations include:
- manufacturers of comparator technologies
- NHS Quality Improvement Scotland
- the relevant National Collaborating Centre (a group commissioned by NICE to develop clinical guidelines), if relevant
- research groups working in the area
- other groups, including:
- NHS Confederation
- NHS Purchasing and Supplies Agency
- British National Formulary
- Scottish Medicines Consortium
- Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
- Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety for Northern Ireland
- professional or patient organisations covering Wales only.
Commentators are invited by NICE to take part in the appraisal process and comment on the various documents produced during the process. Commentators cannot appeal against the final appraisal determination.
Next meeting dates
There are 4 TAC committees (A, B, C, and D). Meetings are held either in London or Manchester.
Committee A - London
- Tuesday 9 June 2020
- Tuesday 14 July 2020
- Wednesday 12 August 2020
- Tuesday 8 September 2020
- Tuesday 13 October 2020
- Tuesday 10 November 2020.
Committee B - London
- Wednesday 10 June 2020 (cancelled)
- Thursday 16 July 2020
- Thursday 13 August 2020
- Wednesday 9 September 2020
- Wednesday 14 October 2020
- Thursday 12 November 2020
- Thursday 10 December 2020.
Committee C - Manchester
- Tuesday 2 June 2020
- Tuesday 7 July 2020
- Tuesday 4 August 2020
- Tuesday 1 September 2020
- Wednesday 7 October 2020
- Thursday 5 November 2020.
Committee D - Manchester
- Thursday 4 June 2020 (cancelled)
- Wednesday 8 July 2020
- Wednesday 5 August 2020
- Wednesday 2 September 2020
- Tuesday 6 October 2020
- Wednesday 4 November 2020
- Wednesday 2 December 2020.