Our recommendations on the use of highly specialised technologies are made by an independent advisory committee. This is called the highly specialised technologies evaluation committee (HSTEC).
Members are appointed for a 3-year term, and are drawn from:
- the NHS
- patient and carer organisations
- pharmaceuticals and medical device industries.
Although the committee seeks the views of organisations representing health professionals, patients, carers, manufacturers and government, its advice is independent of any vested interests.
Consultees and commentators
Consultee organisations include:
- local and national groups representing patients and carers
- bodies representing health professionals
- manufacturer(s) or sponsor(s) of the technology in development
- the Department of Health
- specialised commissioning groups.
Consultees can submit evidence during the evaluation, comment on the evaluation documents and appeal against the committee's final recommendations. In addition, consultee organisations are asked to nominate patient experts, commissioning experts or clinical specialists.
Commentator organisations include:
- manufacturers of comparator technologies
- Welsh Government
- the relevant National Collaborating Centre (a group commissioned by NICE to develop clinical guidelines), if relevant
- research groups working in the area
- other groups, including:
- British National Formulary
- Scottish Medicines Consortium
- Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency
- Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety for Northern Ireland
- professional or patient organisations covering Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland only.
We invite commentators to take part in the evaluation process and comment on the various documents produced.
Next meeting dates
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, our highly specialised technologies evaluation committee meetings are currently being held virtually.
- Wednesday 16 February 2022
- Wednesday 13 April 2022
- Wednesday 11 May 2022 CANCELLED
- Wednesday 8 June 2022
- Wednesday 6 July 2022
- Thursday 11 August 2022
- Thursday 8 September 2022
- Wednesday 12 October 2022
- Thursday 3 November 2022
- Thursday 15 December 2022.
Dates and venues are subject to change.