NICE recommendations on the use of highly specialised technologies are made by an independent advisory committee called the Highly Specialised Technologies Evaluation Committee.
Committee members are appointed for a three-year term, and are drawn from:
- the NHS
- patient and carer organisations
- pharmaceuticals and medical device industries.
Although the Highly Specialised Technologies Evaluation Committee (
Consultees and commentators
Consultee organisations include:
- local and national groups representing patients and carers
- bodies representing health professionals
- manufacturer(s) or sponsor(s) of the technology in development
- the Department of Health
- specialised commissioning groups.
Consultees can submit evidence during the evaluation, comment on the evaluation documents and appeal against the Evaluation Committee's final recommendations. In addition,
Commentator organisations include:
- manufacturers of comparator technologies
- Welsh Government
- if relevant, a National Collaborating Centre (a group commissioned by NICE to develop clinical guidelines)
- research groups working in the area
- other groups, including:
- British National Formulary
- Scottish Medicines Consortium
- Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
- Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety for Northern Ireland
- professional or patient organisations covering Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland only.
Commentators are invited by NICE to take part in the evaluation process and comment on the various documents produced during the process.
Next meeting dates
- Wednesday 26 February 2020 - Manchester
- Wednesday 26 March 2020 (cancelled) - Manchester
- Thursday 9 April 2020 - Manchester
- Thursday 14 May 2020 - London
- Wednesday 3 June 2020 - Manchester
- Wednesday 15 July 2020 - London
- Thursday 6 August 2020 - Manchester
- Thursday 10 September 2020 - London
- Thursday 8 October 2020 - Manchester
- Wednesday 11 November 2020 - London.
Dates and venues are subject to change.