In 1997, the Department of Health published a document called Improving Outcomes in Colorectal Cancer. NICE has now published an updated version for the NHS in England and Wales. Some of the original recommendations have been updated, and further recommendations have been added.
The key recommendations are:
- People who may have colorectal cancer should be offered rapid referral for endoscopy
- Endoscopy should be available for diagnosis
- People should be treated by a multidisciplinary team
- Colorectal teams treating people with rectal cancer should have special training
- People who need emergency treatment should be treated by a colorectal cancer team
- Information and support should be improved